Thursday, June 23, 2011

What does this new brain research mean?

                   In an effort to increase my exercise science knowledge this summer, I've been reading countless magazines and books targeted at endurance training and fitness. Several times I have seen columns by exercise physiologists that report that the newest area of study in exercise science is a more brain-centered approach.

     A quick synopsis of this "new" idea: Previously, it was thought that lactic acid accumulation was the culprit when we slow down during a hard bout of exercise. In other words, fatigue had to do with the change in physiology of the muscle caused by exercise. Now, researchers have found that exercise- related fatigue is actually a defense mechanism utilized by the brain in order to prevent us from actually"exercising" to death. So, we slow down because of panic signals from the brain.

            Of course our brain isn't going to let us kill ourselves while training. Isn't that obvious common sense, not ground-breaking science? I don't think it's really that new,  it's just a fact that has been overlooked for a long time. What I really don't understand is how we can apply this to how athletes train. Basically, it means that the people who are able to suffer the most in training and racing will be the fittest. Ability to suffer, as far as I know, is not a learned skill. It's one of those genetic traits that can only be trained to a certain extent...and then it plateaus. So then how has this brain-centered approach changed exercise science, other than changing our perspective? Sure, it's a great discovery, but at the end of the day a solid mix of training and recovery will produce the most fitness.

Personal experience: I have trouble racing 5Ks because of the speed and high level of suffering involved from start to finish. I can run 3.1 miles while sleeping, but when I try to run as fast as I can, I fail miserably. I am more suited to a half-marathon, where running your last 5K in 21:30 is pretty darn good. I can spread my effort out over the race; by the time I get to that 10 mile mark, I can zombie-run myself to the finish. Mentally, I have had much more positive experiences with the HM than with a 5K. I've had terrible time trials, xc races, and local 5Ks...but I have improved with every HM I have run. It comes back to mindset: you have to set yourself up for success. (which I'm hoping I can do at the mpm triathlon this weekend :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment