Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Things that inspire me

This is not so much of a blog, but rather a list of things that keep me going. Not many people understand why I do what I do, so here's a few reasons why I swim, bike, and run my way through life.

1. Nothing beats the satisfaction of running (or swimming, or biking) a PR. If I close my eyes, I can still feel the finish line and the elation after running Gasparilla in 1:34:17. I can see the clock and the crowd, feel the smile on my face and my fist pumping into the air. I remember hugging my mom after and saying "I did it! I did it!". I always pull this memory up when I'm having a bad run.

2. Chrissie Wellington. The more I read about her, the more she inspires me. She is an ironman champion, and an incredible athlete. She ran the fastest marathon in women's ironman history, which had her running blistering 6:20 miles after a 112 mile bike ride. But what inspires me the most is her demeanor. She takes a very "happy-go-lucky" approach to triathlon training, and she is always smiling. She is a great advocate for this sport, and she reminds me that I need to do this for fun, and not be so intense all of the time.

3. Races. Races are so much fun, motivating, and exciting. Sure, I could go run 3.1 miles on the Pinellas Trail any day of the week. But it's not everyday that I get a race bib, a cheering section, and hundreds of people to run with. I usually go into a race with butterflies and self-doubts, but I always end the day with a positive experience and pure enjoyment. Plus, you get your workout in super early and get the rest of the day to enjoy your accomplishment! Oh, and I can't forget the shwag. Gotta love free stuff.

4. TriGators. The best decision I have made in college so far was to join the club triathlon team. It's so cool to be a part of something, and to have awesome practices with a motivating atmosphere. I love wearing the orange and blue when I race, and the cheers of "Go Gators!" that I get no matter where I race. I remember the first Triathlon I did with the TriGators. It was the Sand Key triathlon, not too far from my house. I got goosebumps from the team cheer we did before the race and the high fives from teammates after the race. "This is SO much fun!" I remember telling everyone in sight that day.

5. There is always room for improvement, and there is always someone faster than you. No explanation needed. Get out there and train.

6. My mom and dad.  They are my biggest fans, and they make every effort they can to watch me race. They get up with me at 5 AM just to see me race for a total of 3 minutes (if they're lucky) I am so thankful for their support and love that they put into my life. I would not be where I am today or where I am going to be tomorrow without them.

7. Goals.  I always have big goals and expectations for myself. Sometimes they are time goals, or sometimes emotional goals, but they are always ambitious. It gets me going, and although I may not believe in myself on the surface, deep down I think that I am capable of anything. I sure hope that no one is ever as hard on me than I am on myself. These goals get me out on the roads, in the pool, or to the gym.

8. How far I've come. Ever since my middle school mishap, I have been improving as a person and an athlete. I am ashamed of that period of time, and I'm doing my best to run away from it. I'm fitter and stronger than ever, and those scars are slowly fading.

When all else fails, just keep going my friends. Hope some of his inspires you too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment