Saturday, February 2, 2013

Endurance sports are like rap music....ridiculous.

   I think that part of the appeal of endurance sports, much like rap music, is the fact that it's ridiculous, and doesn't reflect real life. Just as it's crazy to spend hours on the roads or in the pool, it's quite outlandish that bandz make her dance. Or that starships were meant to fly (what's a starship, anyway?).
             Training and racing are a life away from life. Reality doesn't exist whilst my body is in motion. I get lost in the effort, finding transient clarity that dissipates shortly after a workout is over. I often finish workouts and wonder "Why am I doing this again?" Similarly, when a rap song is over, I wonder "Wait, what did you just say?".  So here's my attempt to tie-dye the two worlds of endurance sports and rap music:
      
I'm not sure what's it's like to move my body like a cyclone on the dance floor, but I can imagine that's what my swimming technique looks like.

No, Kanye, I don't know what it feels like to be drunk and high at the same time by poppin' champagne on an airplane, but it probably feels like finishing a PR-attempt 5K race.

I can identify with Jay-Z; I really do have 99 problems. My hip flexors are tight, my ankles don't want to flex anymore, my lats twitch when I reach for my cereal in the morning. Races get more expensive every year, I'm never satisfied with the amount of workout clothes I have, and I eat enough for two people. I won't go into all 99, but you get the idea.

I love to wobble, except when I get off my bike in an Olympic distance triathlon.

I pound the alarm every time I have to wake up at 5 for a race.I fill my glass up just a little more (with Gatorade) and get ready to show these girls that I own 'em(....some call me Nicki and some me Roman...) And I obviously get sexy and hotter during a race.

When I'm doing a triathlon, I run into transition thinking "on to the next one, on on to the next one..."

Running is my form of booty work. I can't work one cheek at a time when I dance, but I can when I run.

No matter how difficult a workout is or how outrageous a rap song is, (Thrift Shop, anyone?) I'll always come back for more.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment