Saturday, October 26, 2013

Mirror, mirror...

Mirror mirror on the wall,
Do you even tell me anything at all?
How much weight I can lift?
 And what about how swift?

      As someone who works in the fitness world, I see a lot of people who are clearly dissatisfied with their bodies and musculature. As I peruse the gym, I see multiple attempts to duplicate the cover of a fitness magazine. There's "that guy" bicep curling so close to the mirror that he's fogging it up with his dramatic exhalations. There's "that girl" on the elliptical, drowning a Law and Order re-run with her sweat. Obviously, the college population is quite skewed towards the stereotype direction and isn't completely representative of the country as a whole, but it's a stigma that permeates fitness facilities everywhere. Everyone wants to look good and feel good, but not everyone looks and feels good the same way.

For example: How are all of these women different?


Everyone is a product of their day to day activities and choices. Obviously, these three women exercise very differently from one another because they have diverse goals. They all look great, but do they look the same? Of course not. Yes, I know you must be shocked that I have yet to mention the genetic chasm of difference displayed here. I would, but that's not my point. My point is that fitness takes form in a variety of ways.

similarly, take a look at these two groups of guys:



They are similar in that they train very hard and very specifically, but for very disparate goals. What would happen if they swapped training regimens? Over time, their bodies would change...but would they really change that much?

Aesthetics are by far the number one motivation for people to work out. What happened to working out because it's fun? Or because it makes you feel, well, awesome?

     Don't get me wrong, I love muscles and leanness just as much as the next girl (or guy), but I also have a firm belief that fitness is something that you feel, not see. We learn from early on that in biology, structure equals function. However, at the organismal level, this isn't always true. There's a lot of unassuming people out there that can do some really awesome things.

Judge your body by what it can do, not by it's reflection.

   

    

  

1 comment:

  1. Reposting this. Also: I'd guess is that the SHAPE photos are also altered.

    ReplyDelete