Sunday, February 26, 2012

Things I learned while not being able to run

Here we go, another list. Some of these are quite serious, and others are quite humorous. I'll let you decide.

1. Swimming twice in one day is a bad idea. Your arms WILL fall off.

2. I don't block wind for anyone while cycling. It's not intentional, I promise.

3.  Speaking of cycling, WIND SUCKS. I went on several rides where I felt like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I wanted just to get off my bike and click my red cycling shoes together and chant "There's no place like home", rather than finish the ride.

4. I will never butterfly. Never.


5. I'm an emotional rollercoaster. I think running provides a sense of normalcy in my life. Not only do I enjoy it very much (maybe too much), but it seems to tell my body that all is right in the world.


6. I still can't call myself a triathlete. Without running, cycling and swimming have no value to me.


7.  Googling injuries is something no one should do. Oh and for heaven's sake, stay off of running message boards. You WILL think that you will never run again. Or need your leg amputated.

8. Ice, foam rollers, KT tape, and stretching are the loves of my life. Walking boots are not.


9. When you don't have to get up at 6 to run, you can go out and have something called "fun". What a concept.


10. Squats kick your butt. As if in, your butt hurts so bad the next day that you waddle a bit. That first step in morning is something special.

11. Thinking positively is the MOST important thing you can do. Not only do you feel happier, but there is a scientific reason behind it. Psychological stress causes increased levels of cortisol, which will prolong the inflammatory response and inhibit healing.

12. I don't have any patience. Not when I'm training, and not when I'm recovering. This injury should have taken no more than a month to heal, and instead it's going on 2 months. Sigh, maybe I'll get some someday.

13. "You're not an idiot, you're just anal." I'll let you all guess who said that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment