Monday, May 7, 2012

It's about what you DON'T eat, not what you DO eat.

 Yes, this is a blog about nutrition. When you conclude in reading it, please don't  knock down my door, leave notes on my car, or give me the silent treatment. This is such a touchy topic that I have restrained from sharing my view for a while. I will make my best effort to build a bridge over the nutrition disparity rather than add water under it. So, without further ado, here it is, in a nutshell: nutrition is more about what you don't put into your mouth than what you put in it.

       I work at Publix, and as creepy as this sounds, you can tell a lot about a person by what they put into their shopping carts. I see people from all ends of the food spectrum: all organic to all Little Debbie. I can tell when people are trying to maintain or lose weight, and there is a spectrum there as well in regards to what kinds of foods that I pull across my scanner. One side is full of 100 calorie packs, rice cakes, Snack Wells, and diet soda; the other overloaded with vegetables, beans, chicken breast, and fresh fruit. Let's play a game: which cart has more calories? Which cart is better?

     So the answer to the above question is quite obvious, but it helps me prove my point. When people diet, they are often too caught up on calories and not caught up enough on nutrients. Although both carts likely have similar caloric values, the one with the vegetables has a whole lot more bang for the buck, so to speak. The proportion of people who don't eat fruit or vegetables is quite alarming. A diet without fruits and vegetables is like a building that is missing one of its pillars. These foods have a lot of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other compounds that simply cannot be matched by even the most fortified of foods. A diet that includes lean protein and whole grains is not complete without a large dose of vegetables and adequate fruit intake.

   A long the same lines, a diet that is adequate in plant foods is not wrecked by a daily indulgence. Sure, sugar and saturated fat causes problems (to say it succinctly) but the consequences of a not-so-perfect diet are nowhere near those of omitting the vital food groups. Besides, if you focus on eating your daily quota of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains you won't have room for too much more (unless you happen to be a competitive eater, which I don't recommend)

     However, nutrition varies so much over a continuum that it's difficult to follow concrete rules. Our bodies process food so differently, and our needs are a product of our daily activities. For athletes, nutrition varies by training cycle and even day to day. Macronutrient needs (daily ratios of carbs, fat, and protein) are a hotly debated topic, but the only idea in this area that I believe is that the ratio should be determined by body type, and then later tweaked for the individual. Those on the heavier side should start with a higher protein and lower carbohydrate ratio, and individuals with low body fat should aim for slightly higher carb diets. I really don't want to go into extreme detail over this, but I think it should be out there that I believe that this is a good starting point.

   Lastly, the common theme that should run through any diet is whole foods. Stay away from processed foods as often as possible, and buy organic if you eat a certain food frequently. An easy way to do this is to "shop the perimeter" of the store, except when you are grabbing those frozen vegetables from the freezer section. If you do buy products with labels, be sure to read it; and be sure to understand the ingredients before you toss it into your cart. Organic Oreos are not better than regular Oreos. (sorry, I wish it were true also) I liken eating food additives to trying to trying to funnel a thick liquid. Additives can get stuck to the sides, but whole foods are like water that can just slip right through without consequence.

Eat your veggies. Drink water. Whole foods only. Get moving. That's all there is to it! Criticism is welcome, but I hope that this is perceived as a neutral opinion, not one that will start a war.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment