Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Post About Life

        I usually don't like using this blog as a diary, but I think I have learned a lesson recently that some people may be able to learn too. For most of my life I have wished that I was something else, or more like somebody else. I have wished that I was a better soccer player, and that I could have played on my high school team. I've longed to be funnier, prettier, smarter, nicer, etc., than I am. I've dreamed of super quick race times, being 4 inches taller, and of straight A's in college. But none of that time that I spent wishing was ever worth it. Realizing that you already are the best person you can be is empowering, and any reason you can find to believe in yourself is a good one.

   Envy is part of life, and of course is normal. Humans have been comparing themselves to one another since the loin cloth was in fashion. But instead of spending time comparing yourself to others, spend time improving yourself. You have talents that you don't yet know that you have, and just because you haven't done something before doesn't mean that it's impossible. Just because something could be better doesn't mean that it was all that bad in the first place.

      This reminds me of a quote (and you know how much I love quotes):  "You must love yourself before you can love anybody else." That's so true, right? How can you be someone else's world while you are still unsure of your own? As weird as it sounds, we learn to love in life from 3 people: our parents and ourselves. My dad has always told me that I have to love myself, and it's probably the best advice he will ever give me. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to finally understand it.

   Keeping the focus on doing things in life is infinitely better than dreaming about things that you want to do. Today is always the day, tomorrow is for the lazy and yesterday is already gone. Life is yours for the taking; live it as though you were born with everything you will ever need. Because more than likely, you have. Don't spend your life wishing that you had this or that. Spend it knowing that you have what it takes to get this and that.

No comments:

Post a Comment